In my previous article, I have discussed some of the facts that you need to know about phishing and Business Email Compromise generally. In this article, I want to look at some of the facts that you need to put into consideration in order to avoid cyber security threats. Follow me as we will look at that together in this article.
Security threats come from everywhere, all over the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. Moreover, human error is the root cause of almost every single data breach that happens worldwide.
- Always follow the company policy and data handling guidelines. If you are not sure about a policy, please ask. There are no dumb questions.
- You need to back up sensitive and critical information on an encrypted device with a strong password.
- Be aware of shoulder surfing or people who hang around your desk and act suspicious. They might be looking for confidential information or watch you as you enter your password.
- Do not write or leave passwords on notes posted on or under your desk, computer or keyboard.
- Keep your desk free of any proprietary or confidential information, and securely lock private information away in a desk drawer when you leave your workstation for an extended period, and at the end of the day.
- Lock your computer screen and cell phone every time you step away to prevent anyone from seeing or manipulating confidential information on your device.
- Report broken doors, windows and locks to your security personnel as soon as possible.
- Report suspicious activity in or near your facility’s entry and exit points, loading docks parking areas, garages, and immediate vicinity, and always remember to lock your car.
- Report suspicious packages, and do not open or touch them.
- Shred and destroy all documents that contain sensitive personal or organisational information rather than tossing them in the waste bin.
- Treat all devices such as a computer, CD ROM, USB Devices, and laptop as sensitive if they contain proprietary and sensitive data. Never share it with any unauthorised person, which includes your family members.
- Use your badge to enter your workplace and do not allow tailgaters. Check for identification and ask a lingering individual to identify the purpose of their visit to your workplace.
PS: If you would like to have an online course on any of the courses that you found on this blog, I will be glad to do that on an individual and corporate level, I will be very glad to do that I have trained several individuals and groups and they are doing well in their various fields of endeavour. Some of those that I have trained includes staffs of Dangote Refinery, FCMB, Zenith Bank, New Horizons Nigeria among others. Please come on Whatsapp and let’s talk about your training. You can reach me on Whatsapp HERE. Please note that I will be using Microsoft Team to facilitate the training.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Fact Check Policy
CRMNIGERIA is committed to fact-checking in a fair, transparent and non-partisan manner. Therefore, if you’ve found an error in any of our reports, be it factual, editorial, or an outdated post, please contact us to tell us about it.