Memory Verse: ” And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine ? ”
Bible Passage: Luke 17: 11-19.
Thanksgiving is the art kg giving thanks, or a show of gratitude and appreciation for something done for you. Why are people not showing appreciation to God? Is it that God has not done anything ? Jesus Christ appreciates thanksgiving. He was surprised that only one of the ten lepers came back to express appreciation. All of them were in need , all crowd for mercy, all persevered , all believed and obeyed but only one returned to express appreciation after the healing ( Luke 17:17-18).
1. Only one came back.
2. The Christian approach.
Only one came back
Only one out of the ten lepers came back to express appreciation and he was a Samaritan. It is like saying that out of every member of a church, only one person who does not even know much about Jesus gives thanks. The rest may see no reason to thank God because of :
1. Discouragement and tribulations (Daniel 2:23). Daniel was a captive at the time he began thanking God.
2. Lack of knowledge of God’s word (Col. 4:2).
3. Taking God for granted and using thanksgiving as a substitute for obedience (Luke 18: 9-14).
4. Fellowship with the wrong crowd (Eph. 5:1-5).
Refusal to take account of what God has done (Luke 17:18).
The Christian Approach
Real Christians should find time to thank God for the following reasons among others :
1. Thanksgiving is a command ( 1 These. 5:18; Eph. 5:20; Col. 3:17). We are to come to His presence with Thanksgiving (Ps. 100:4).
2. For the salvation of our souls and hope kg eternal life with God ( Luke 10: 17-21).
3. It is a show of appreciation for what the Lord has done (Ex. 15:1-21; Like 17:11-19; 1:46).
4. It is a means of praying by faith e.g in the case of Lazarus (John 11:41).
5. It’s a potent weapon of warfare (2 Chro. 20:20-27).
6. It’s an evangelistic tool (Ps. 54: 4-11; 2 Sam. 22:1-2).
7. It sustains selflessness and humility ( Daniel 2:23-24; Luke 18:9-14; 1 Timothy 1: 12-13).
8. It puts a seal of perfection on our testimonies. The man who came back to express appreciation was made whole ( Luke 17:19).
9. We are called to show forth the praise of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvellous light ( 1 Peter 2:9).
We have no reason to disobey the call to give thanks always.
1. What is thanksgiving?
2. For what reasons should Christians give thanks?
PS: If you would like to have an online course on any of the courses that you found on this blog, I will be glad to do that on an individual and corporate level, I will be very glad to do that because I have trained several individuals and groups and they are doing well in their various fields of endeavour. Some of those that I have trained include the staff of Dangote Refinery, FCMB, Zenith Bank, and New Horizons Nigeria among others. Please come on Whatsapp and let’s talk about your training. You can reach me on Whatsapp HERE. Please note that I will be using Microsoft Team to facilitate the training.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Fact Check Policy
RCCG Sunday School Teachers is committed to fact-checking in a fair, transparent and non-partisan manner. Therefore, if you’ve found an error in any of our reports, be it factual, editorial, or an outdated post, please contact us to tell us about it.