Opening Prayer: Father, open my understanding to the need for Your Leading.
Memory Verse: ” And it came to pass after this, that David enquired of the LORD, saying Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah? And the LORD said unto Him, Go Up And David said, Whither shall I go Up? And he said, Unto Hebron“-2 Samuel 2:1.
Bible Passage: Habakkuk 2:1-2.
The Bible is full of records of believers who yielded to the leading and guidance of God. While it may seem difficult for some people in our contemporary world to allow God in their pursuit. Christians that meet the requirements will in the path of God.
Text Review: Habakkuk 2:1-2.
2. REQUIREMENTS FOR DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE.
BIBLICAL INSTANCES OF DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE
i. Genesis 12:1-4, God ordered Abram out of his country to a promised land and he obeyed.
ii. Numbers 9:17-23 narrates how the Israelites obeyed the instruction of God to travel with the cloud.
iii. Genesis 31:3 God instructed Jacob to return to his fatherland.
iv. 1 Kings 18:1 God told Elijah to show himself to Ahab as He would open the heaven for the rain to fall.
v. 2 Samuel 5:19 David inquired from God on whether to go against the Philistines or not.
vi. Mattew 2:9-12 tells that God led and guide the wise men to the place of birth of Jesus Christ.
vii. Acts 9:10-11, the Lord gave and guided Ananias to the specific address of Saul of Tarsus.
Surprisingly, the Holy Spirit can forbid you to perform a task, though, it may seem like it would please God (Acts 16:6).
CLASS ACTIVITY 1: Like the above examples. students should mention specific instructions they got from God and whether or not they are obeyed.
REQUIREMENTS FOR DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE
1. Delight in the Lord (Ps. 37:4-8;1 Cor. 2:9).
2. Passion for God’s will (Luke 22:42). The will of God does not leave you miserable or regretful but rather it takes you to the expected end (Jer. 29:11).
3. The willingness to be led ( Romans 8:14; Ps. 23:1-2).
4. The attitude of meekness (Ps. 25:9); meekness equals being teachable.
5. The attitude of enquiry ( Jer. 6:16; Matt. 7:7).
6. The attitude of hearing and listening. – activate the listening mode. (Ps. 85:8; Hab. 2:1-2.
7.. The attitude of patience (Matt. 28:16) . Do not force yourself to hear what God is not saying.
8. Soak in and meditate on the word of God. (Ps. 119:105).
9. Pay attention to the Godly leaders over you (1Dam. 3:9)..
10. Obey Previous instructions (Mark 4:24b). If you have not hearkened to previous instructions, you may not hear the next move of God.
CLASS ACTIVITY 2: Mention other requirements for divine leading and guidance not listed above.
SUMMARY: The Scripture is full of people who were practically guided by God. You too can be led by God today.
If God is the one leading you, you can never miss the mark. Ask for the grace to understand the mind of God and be guided in the right direction. If you think you have gone far in the wrong direction and refuse to turn back, you will only end in the wrong direction.
EVALUATION: Are there requirements to fulfil if you want to be led by God always?
CLOSING PRAYER: Father, I receive the grace to meet all the requirements for divine leading and guidance.
Assignment: Recall and wrote down an occasion that you refused to follow the leading of God and the consequence of such disobedience. Make a pledge to be led and guided by God always. (No mark).