Divorce Is Costly. RCCG Sunday School Teachers.
Divorce Is Costly. RCCG Sunday School Teachers.
Opening Prayer: Almighty father, we pull down every force behind marriage break-ups in the name of Jesus.
Previous Knowledge: The Assistant Teacher should review the previous week’s lesson.
Memory Verse: “And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one ? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and loet none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth”. -Malachi 2:15.
Bible Passage: Malachi 2:13-16.
Anyone considering divorce must have experienced months or years of struggle with their spouse. They are familiar with emotional divorce. They are familiar with emotional distance, insecurity, fear, depression, anger and perhaps betrayal. Life has become so difficult that divorce seems like the only path toward peace and happiness. Our High Priest emphatises with believers in such state (Heb. 4:15). However, God clearly explains His reasons for esteeming marriage so highly He says it was He who “made them one” (Mal. 2:15). Marriage was God’s idea and any deviation from His design is detestable to Him. Marriage is not just a contract, it is a covenant. This is why God hates divorce and the consequences can be grievous.
LESSON AIM: To study God’s attitude to Divorce.
Through this lesson, students should be able to:
a. Understand that God hates divorce.
b. Discover the grave consequences of divorce.
TEACHING PLAN: To achieve the above-stated objectives, the teacher should:
a. Explain why the sentence “I am sorry” is not enough.
b. Explain the correct way to apologise.
c. Allow the Assistant Teacher to see to the well-being of the class, and mark attendance and assignment.
d. Teach the lesson outlines, summarise, conclude, evaluate the lesson and give assignments to the students.
TEXT REVIEW : Malachi 2:13-16.
The teachers should identity five things which God raised in this passage especially with regards to marital faithfulness.
TEACHING METHOD: The teacher should combine lecture and discussion teaching methods.
Time Management: Teachers should apply two-lesson outlines of teaching time.
- GOD HATES DIVORCE
- DIVORCE HAS GRAVE CONSEQUENCES
LESSON OUTLINE ONE: GOD HATES DIVORCE
Marriage is a picture of the covenant God has with His people (1 Cor. 6:17). and He wants us to understand how serious it is. When a Husband or wife chooses to violate the covenant of marriage, it mars and makes a mockery of the God-created concept of covenant relationship (2 Cor. 11:2; Rev. 19:7-9). God never intended divorce to be a part of human experience and it grieves Him when we harden our hearts and break a covenant that He created. (Matt. 19:4-8).
Mal. 2:15 give us another reason God hates divorce. He says He is “seeking Godly offspring”. God design for the family was that one man and one woman commit themselves to each other for life and rear children that will understand the concept of covenant as well. Children reared in a healthy two-parent home have a far greater likelihood of establishing successful marriages themselves.
LESSON OUTLINE TWO: DIVORCE HAVE GREAT CONSEQUENCES
A. the teacher should point out that:
i. There is a direct connection between the way a man treats his wife and the effectiveness of his prayers.
ii. God does not listen to the please for blessing from those who have broken the covenant of marriage. (Phil. 3:7).
There is a direct correlation between the way a man treat his wife and the effectiveness of his prayers. God does not listen to the pleas for blessing from those who have broken the covenant of marriage. (1 Peter 3:7). Divorce is also associated with many negative outcomes. Here are some:
The teacher should explain the severe consequences of divorce as indicated below:
- Divorce is a death of a union, and therefore , the death of a dream, a promise and a family unit. Everyone involved-even a perpetrator- will feel grief and loss during a divorce. If there are children involved, they will experience severe grief over the loss of being with both parents together and living under the same roof.
- Divorce marks a pivotal moment in a person’s life, especially for children . life as they know it changes forever and they become become different versions of themselves , adapting to new routines and new versions of their parents (who have also changed).
- Children of divorced parents are more likely to experience poverty . educational failure,early and risky sexual activities, non-marital childbirth , early marriage , cohabitation , marital discord and divorce.
- Following a divorce, parents and children, often experience emotional and psychological problems , that can last for years, even for the rest of their lives. Anxiety, depression, low self-esteem , fear of abandonment , distrust, insecurity, lack of intimacy, confusion over security and /or gender , guilt, fruitlessness , loneliness , bitterness and rebellion manifest themselves in children who have lived through divorce of their parents.
- Divorce matters can lead to a poor sense of judgement especially on marital issues, increase in crime, drug/ alcohol addiction and even suicide attempt.
- The productivity of divorcees/divorced men may reduce at work and in their services to God.
- There is a chance of another divorce . Research shows that about 60 percent of divorcees/divorced men who remarry will divorce again. Realistically, most people carry the unresolved issues from their last failed marriage to the next marriage.
Class Activity 2: According to Mal.2:13-14 , what happens to the offerings made to God by men who deal treacherously with their wives?
SUMMARY: God hates divorce because it carries grave consequences.
CONCLUSION : If God hates divorce, believers should do everything possible, including consulting with the Author of marriage-God to make the marriage work.
EVALUATION: Why does God hates Divorce?
CLOSING PRAYER: Almighty God, please help spouses to remain faithful to the covenant of marriage forever and pass this godly character to their children until you come in Jesus name.
ASSIGNMENT: Give five(5) flimsy excuses couples make for divorce (2X5=10 Marks).
PS: If you would like to have an online course on any of the courses that you found on this blog, I will be glad to do that on an individual and corporate level, I will be very glad to do that because I have trained several individuals and groups and they are doing well in their various fields of endeavour. Some of those that I have trained include staff of Dangote Refinery, FCMB, Zenith Bank, and New Horizons Nigeria among others. Please come on Whatsapp and let’s talk about your training. You can reach me on Whatsapp HERE. Please note that I will be using Microsoft Team to facilitate the training.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Fact Check Policy
CRMNUGGETS is committed to fact-checking in a fair, transparent and non-partisan manner. Therefore, if you’ve found an error in any of our reports, be it factual, editorial, or an outdated post, please contact us to tell us about it.