Memory Verse: ” Through wisdom is a house built, and by understanding it is established “. – Prov 24:3.
Bible Passage : Prov. 5: 3-4.
God, invented marriage for companionship, sexual intimacy, procreation and invariably fulfilment. (Gen. 2:18; 21:24). However, what becomes of marriage depends primarily on the understanding of the couple on what marriage should be and the factors that positively and negatively influence such undertanding. (Prov. 24:4-4). How a couple manages such influence(s) determines whether or not there will be happiness , peace, progress etc. We shall , therefore, address some of these marriage I fluencers in this lesson.
LESSON OUTLINE ONE: NEGATIVE INFLUENCERS
#1 FRIENDS IN TOXIC RELATIONSHIPS
Couples must protect their marriage from failure by avoiding destructive relationship patterns sponsored by third parties whose marriages seem not to be working (1 Cor. 15:33; Ps. 1:1).
#2 Inordinate pursuit of money career
Money is needed to run the affairs of the home but when it is being pursued at the expense of the marriage. It may affect the togetherness of the couple (1 Tim 6:10).
Communication becomes hampered when spouses pay more attention to social media activities than to each other (Matt. 6:21). This has disrupted family intimacy.
#4 Character defects
One of the factors that makes marriage beautiful is change. However, when spouses refuse to admit the need for a change in a defective lifesytle, such marriage suffers needless tension. (Matt. 7:3).
#5 Close relationship with ex lovers and opposite sex
Failure to redefine and detach fully from previous or resent intimate relationships with the opposite sex can trigger unforseen sexual immorality ( Prov. 5:3, 15,20).
#6 Excessive jealousy
This happens when a partner is over-possesove. This is dangerous and can lead to destructive behaviours ( Prov. 6:34).
Habits like gambling , alcohol, consumption , drug abuse, and the like, are some moral vices that can draw the heart of either of the partners away from the marriage.
Lesson Outline Two: Positive Influencers
1. Trust and understanding (1 John 4:8; 1 Peter 3:7).
2. Selfless and mutual support (Gal. 6:2; Eccl. 4:9-10).
3. Praying together and keeping Christ the centre of the relationship (Matt. 18:19; Ps. 127:1).
5. Building a new home and family culture together (Gen. 2:24).
6. Guarding and managing ypur thoughts (Prov. 4:23; 23:7).
7. Finding work-family balance (Romans 1:11; Ps. 127:2).
8. Never go to bed angry (Eph. 4:26).
9. Speaking kind and uplifting words to each other (Prov. 15:1; Col. 4:6). Do not nag ( Prov 21:19).
10. Being reasonable with family finance and budget (Prov. 16:21).
Every marriage is a work in progress . Therefore we must be intentional to make it work.
Do you enjoy this article, add Our Posts to your Reading List.
To Get Email Updates when we post new contents, Click Here.