Memory Verse: “Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing and obtaineth favour of the LORD”– Prov. 18:22.
Bible Passage: Genesis 24:1-19.
Marriage is the intimate union or legal relationship between a husband and wife that should last for a lifetime (Genesis 2:21-23). The steps taken before going on the journey are very important to prevent pitfalls. In knowing God’s will, therefore, you do not have to rely on vague feelings and strange rituals. As a child of God, you have his Word, His Spirit within you and His ministers to guide you and counsel you.
RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD FIRST
Marriage is a creation of God. It all started with Him (Genesis 2;18). God will only guide His own (Jeremiah 10:23). He wants us to know and do His will and He is actively involved in revealing it. Therefore, before seeking God’s will for marriage, develop a relationship with Him (ps. 119:130; Ps. 119:105). You must not live your life in fear but in fellowship with God (2 Timothy 1:7). Develop your God-given gift and master how God deals with or guides your steps (Psalms 85:8; Psalms 37:23). Discover your purpose through a relationship with Jesus Christ (John 18:37). This will reduce stress, give your life meaning and prepare you for eternity (2Peter 1;3-4). You must be found working in His will (vineyard) like Adam and have a source of income (Genesis 2:15-18) because marriage is not for lazy people.
God does not want His children to be joined with unbelievers (2 Cor.:14-16; 1 Cor. 6:15-17). How then do we recognise God’s will in marriage?
- Through the word of God (Prov. 3:5-7). God has placed His word in our hands so we could have a more objective set of guidelines to follow than dreams, feelings and impulses. Despite your dreams and conviction, pray to have a scriptural backing (Prov. 18:22, Genesis 2:22; Prov. 19:14).
- God will work in you to do His will. He will use circumstances and situations to perfect His will for your life (Romans 8:28; Phil. 2:12-13). You must, therefore, remain sensitive, paying attention to doors He opens and closes to direct your path.
- Through the council of elders or spiritual heads in the church (Psalms 1:1; Prov. 19:21; Prov. 11:14; Prov. 15:22; Acts 1:24; Titus 2:3-5). Do not let the passion for sex, peer/parental pressure, age, poverty etc influence your hasty decision. At such sensitive moments, do not despise godly counsel from spiritual heads (Prov. 14:29b; Is. 52:12).
- The environment you are in and the friends you keep may also influence your choice. Therefore, keep company with only believers of like passion (1 Cor. 15:33).
- Pray fervently. You need to keep the channel of communication with God open, especially by praying without ceasing. This will key you to the mind of God concerning who and when to marry (1 Cor. 2:9-11).
Let God lead you in the choice of your marriage partner.
- Why a relationship with God before marriage?
- How do you know God’s will in marriage?
PS: If you would like to have an online course on any of the courses that you found on this blog, I will be glad to do that on an individual and corporate level, I will be thrilled to do that because I have trained several individuals and groups and they are doing well in their various fields of endeavour. Some of those that I have trained include staffs of Dangote Refinery, FCMB, Zenith Bank, New Horizons Nigeria, and Phillips Consulting among others. Please come on Whatsapp and let’s talk about your training. You can reach me on Whatsapp HERE. Please note that I will be using Microsoft Team to facilitate the training.
I know you might agree with some of the points raised in this article. You might disagree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We would appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Fact Check Policy
CRMNIGERIA is committed to fact-checking in a fair, transparent and non-partisan manner. Therefore, if you’ve found an error in any of our reports, be it factual, editorial, or an outdated post, please contact us to tell us about it.
Free BNB up for Grab. Click here to claim yours.