Memory Verse: “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn“-Prov. 29:2.
Bible Passage: Nehemiah 5: 14-19.
Generally, Politics can be described as the methodology and activities associated with running a government, an organisation or a movement. Politics is all about influence. It is the influence that further births positive or negative changes in the lives of the people. The involvement of Christians in politics is neither secular; nor beyond the ideologies of Christinaity because it is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Genesis 1:28; Matt.5:13-16).
Misconception About Politics
Some Christians believes that, since our kingdom is not of this world, we do not have to be involved in any political activity in the world we presently live in (John 17:14). This is not the whole truth but a misconception aiomed at robbing us of our godly heritage of dominion (Ps. 8:6; 1 Peter 2:9; Revelation 5:10).
Here are some reasons for the misconception or wrong notions about the involvement of Christians in politics:
1. Politics is a dirty game and a worldly affair.
2. Political involvements will take one to hell.
3. All politicians are liars corrupt and promiscuous.
4. It is an opportunity to embezzle money or amass wealth unlawfully.
5. Most politicians are fetish or occultic.
Why Should Christians Be Involved In Politics
In order to disabuse our minds as Christians about our active involvement in politics, we need to consider the following reasons objectively:
1. It is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Deut. 28:13). We are to take the lead and allow kingdom values to shape our society. (Matt. 5:13-16).
2. The leaders we elect or fail to elect, have a great influence on our freedom, well-being and the fulfilment of our God-given mandate. They can choose to protect our rights to worship and spread the gospel, or prevent us from exercising such rights (Esther 4;14; Daniel 6:7).
3. Politics like other sectors of national development (health,. finance, etc). should be explored to “teach all nations” in order to demonstrate the exemplary life and flavour of goodness (Daniel 6:1-3; Matt. 28:19-20).
4. The involvement of godly Christians in politics will reduce corruption, disorderliness, mischief and other socio-economic vices in the society (2 Chro. 14:1-5; Prov. 29:2).
5. To effect positive and lasting changes that will benefit society (Genesis 41:33-40; Prov. 14:34).
God is still looking for the righteous few in order to uplift our nations (Genesis 18:32).
1. Mention four (4) misconceptions believers have about politics?
2. Why should believers be involved in politics?
Mention five (5) consequences of appointing or electing ungodly/bad people to lead (2×5=10marks).