Memory Verse: “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shall go; I will guide thee with mine eye”– Psalms 32:8.
Bible Passage: Psalms 37:3-7.
Divine leading is about being directed by God. Being led or guided by God is a necessary key for Christians. It is the only way to fulfil God’s will in every of our decision-making processes (2 Kings 3:11). Therefore, we need to learn the avenues through which God leads and guides His people. Moreover, in this dispensation, the leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit are both inevitable and indispensable.
1. AVENUES FOR DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE
2. RECOGNISING DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE
AVENUES FOR DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE
It is important to note that God, in his Sovereignty, can adopt any or several means to lead and guide those who put their trust in Him. Here are some of them:
1. Through the word of God (1 Sam. 3:21; Heb. 1:1-2).
2. Through a witness of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 8:14-16). The witness of the Spirit can also come in form of God’s peace that passes all understanding (Phil.4:5-7).
3. Through the voice of the Spirit. This is beyond just a witness. It is a hearing. This hearing can be inward(which means no one else around you hears it). The Bible calls it a “still small voice”, like the sound of a gentle whisper (1 Kings 19:12). Sometimes, the voice comes in the midst of goldly thought (Acts 10:19). The voice of the Spirit can also be outward, in which case you look around as if you heard or somebody else heard what you are hearing (1 Sam.3:3-5; Acts 9:3-5).
4. Through revelations: dreams, visions, trances (Joel 2:28). Dreams can come from your thought (Eccl. 5:3), or the devil -scary and tormenting (nightmares) or from God- insightful, instructional, or revelational (Job 33: 14-17). Dreams happen when you are fully asleep (day or night). Vision can come when you are awake and see something like a still or motion picture (day or night)- Dan. 2:19. Trance is the average between a dream and a vision (you are half awake, half asleep) when the physical senses seem to be suspended (Acts 10:10-11).
5. Through ordained situation and circumstance (Prov. 24:30-34; Jer. 18:1-8). God can take you through a happening to give you a clear direction for life.
6. Through prophetic utterances and confirmations (Hosea 12:10). However, believers are cautioned against living at the mercy of prophesy (1 John 4:1).
7. Through diverse means as deemed by God. (Hosea 12:10).
RECOGNISING DIVINE LEADING AND GUIDANCE
The holy spirit take on the role of a Guide and a Counsellor leading us in the way we should go and revealing God’s truth (Luke 12:12). One of the most important ways to recognise the holy spirit’s guidance is to be familiar with God’s word. The bible is the ultimate source of wisdom about how we should live (2 Tim. 3:16) and believers are to search the Scriptures (John 5:39), meditate on them, and commit them to memory (Ps. 1:2).The word is the sword of the spirit (Eph. 6:17). and the spirit will use it to speak to us John 16:12-14 to reveal God’s will for our lives . He will also bring specific scriptures to mind at times when we need them most (John 14:26).
Therefore, we must test out inclinations against the scriptures.This is because the holy spirit will never push us to do anything contrary to God’s word (1 Cor. 14:33). I’d it conflicts with the bible , then it is not from the holy spirit and should be ignored. It is also neccesary for us to be in continual prayer with the father (1 Thess. 5:17) Not only does this keep our hearts and.minds open to holy spirit leading , but it also allows the Spirit to speak on our behalf (Romans 8:26-27).
If you are not led and guided by God, you will wander and get lost in the wilderness of life . Let God lead you.
1. Mention four (4) avenues of divine leading and guidance.
How can believers recognise divine leading and guidance ?