Memory Verse: if ye endure Chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not “. – Heb. 12:7.
Bible Passage: Heb. 12:5-12
To chasten is to correct or discipline someone, often with the use of some pretty sharp punishment for the purpose of moral improvement (Prov. 19:18; 23:13). We need to consider God’s Chastening and what He (God) as our Father expects from us in response to the chastisement we receive from Him (Deut 8:5). Note that chastisement is not meant for destruction. A parent chastises the child he it she loves (Prov. 3:12: 13:24).
1. Purpose of Divine Chastening
2 Biblical examples
Purpose Of Divine Chastening
God Chastening is an expression of His love which He uses to check us and to ensure that as His children , we are living Right with Him. Though painful, it eventually yields the fruit of righteousness (Heb. 12:11). It is a test of true love: a corrective measure and not a punitive one (2 Samuel 7:14-15; Psalms 118:18). It is also to help us to grow and bring about revival in the church (Heb. 12:10). Divine Chastening brings about restoration in order for us to continually have fellowship with God and ultimately reign with him (Is. 26:16) .It is to prepare us as vessels unto honour for God’s use (2 Tim. 3:16-17). We must not despise God’s Chastening as dear children lest we be condemned with the world.(Prov. 3:11; 1 Cor. 11:32).
We need to consider some characters in the Bible that endured God’s Chastening and became better for it. They include:
1. David : God chastened him for committing adultery for Bathsheba and killing Uriah her husband. (2 Samuel 11:4; 16-17; 12:19-20,18-20).
Nebuchadnezzar – God dealth with him for ascribing the glory due God to himself. He was later restored after acknowledging God as the Almighty (Daniel 4: 29-36).
3. Moses- Moses was chastised for not fully believing God with regards to his calling and failing to observe the token of God’s covenant with Abraham ( Ex. 4:14; 24-28; Gen. 17:11).
4. Paul- God chastised Saul for persecuting the church , bit he was restored as a chosen vessel ( Acts 9:1-16).
5. Jonah – For attempting to run from his responsibility towards the salvation of the city of Nineveh, God made a fish to swallow him for three days and he repented (Jonah 1:1-4; 17;2:10;3:1-2).
If we fail to yield to God’s Chastening , the consequences can be grievous. Let us learn from the examples of Eli (1 Sam. 2:30; 3:12-13;4:17) and King Saul (1 Sam. 15:26;16:1).
1. Why did God chastise his children ?
2. Mention five biblical Examples of people chastised by God.
PS: If you would like to have an online course on any of the courses that you found on this blog, I will be glad to do that on an individual and corporate level, I will be very glad to do that because I have trained several individuals and groups and they are doing well in their various fields of endeavour. Some of those that I have trained include the staff of Dangote Refinery, FCMB, Zenith Bank, and New Horizons Nigeria among others. Please come on Whatsapp and let’s talk about your training. You can reach me on Whatsapp HERE. Please note that I will be using Microsoft Team to facilitate the training.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Fact Check Policy
RCCG Sunday School Teachers is committed to fact-checking in a fair, transparent and non-partisan manner. Therefore, if you’ve found an error in any of our reports, be it factual, editorial, or an outdated post, please contact us to tell us about it.