Some Of The Major Affiliate Marketing Glossary
Some Of The Major Affiliate Marketing Glossary
- Alexa rank – Alexa rank is the website’s rank based on the Alexa traffic ranking calculator. The traffic is based on reach and page views, which signify website’s popularity.2. Anchor text – It is the clickable text in the hyperlink. The anchor text is usually the underlined text in blue color.
3. API – Short for Application Programming Interface, API represents a set of definitions, protocols, functions, and tools for building applications or software.
4. Automation – In marketing, automation refers to the use of software to automate specific tasks, such as email, social media updates, etc.
5. Black hat – This term is used to describe a strategy or technique that is unethical and used to manipulate the system in order to show false performance.
6. Bounce rate – This is the metric showing the percent of visitors who left the website after viewing one page only.
7. Broken link – A broken or dead link is a link on a website that no longer works. Instead of taking the user to the certain page, it shows an error page. These links negatively affect SEO.
8. Checkout – In e-commerce, checkout is the process through which a customer goes when checking out the items in the cart.
9. Click-through rate – It represents the percentage of visitors who clicked on a link in relation to the total number of visitors.
10. CMS – Content Management System (CMS) is an online platform for creating and managing digital content. It allows creating websites and blogs.
11. Content marketing – It is a type of online marketing that is focused on creating and sharing content in various formats (text, video, image, audio, etc.) which is used to increase interest in a brand or a product, and eventually increase conversions.
12. Conversion – A conversion is a desirable action. It is an action the website owner highlights as desired, and it can be a sale, lead generation, click, view, sign up, download, etc.
13. Cookies – Cookies include a piece of data from a website or blog which is stored to the user’s browser.
14. Creatives – This term is used to refer to the creative materials used in affiliate marketing which can include banners of different sizes, images, logos, etc.
15. CSS – CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) is the computer language that affects how elements of a web page, such as color, fonts, layout, etc. are displayed.
16. CTA – Call-to-action (CTA) is a button that is clickable. Click on the CTA is usually considered as a conversion.
17. Display ad – Display ad relies on the usage of images as advertising elements. These images are shared on a website in the form of a banner.
18. Domain authority – Domain authority (abbreviated as DA) is a score that shows how well a website will rank in the search engine result pages. It ranges from 0 to 100, and it was introduced by Moz.
19. E-commerce – E-commerce (electronic commerce) is the process of buying and selling online.
20. Follower – A follower is a person who follows someone’s online activity, usually through social media, but it can also include blog following, forum followers, etc.
21. Hosting – Hosting is a service allowing individuals and companies to make the website accessible online. It is a virtual space where the website is stored. When you create a website, you will need to buy a hosting from a web hosting company.
22. HTML – Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is a standardized system for tagging text files on the web pages.
23. Impression – This term is used in online marketing to represent a single view of a web page. It is often used in online advertising signifying the number of times the ad was displayed.
24. Inbound link – An inbound link links to your website and is published on a third-party website.
25. Influencer – An individual with authority, knowledge, and position to influence and persuade people is called an influencer. Influencers usually have a significant number of followers on social media and their website or blog.
26. Keyword – Keyword is a term that defines website’s content. It is of great significance because it is used to describe the content and instruct the search engines what the content is about. It can be a single word or a phrase.
27. KPI – Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are measurable values the illustrate how effective a campaign is in achieving the planned goals.
28. Landing page – A landing page is the page where the users arrive after the click on the link, so it is considered an entry page. A landing page is usually designed to promote a certain campaign or goal, which is why it needs to be engaging and with the power to convert the visitors to complete the desired action.
29. Lead generation – This is a process of attracting the online users who are potentially interested in becoming your customers through various tactics such as having a sign-up button, organizing an online contest, etc.
30. Link building – Link building is a part of off-site optimization which includes activities that help earn links to your website.
31. Loading error – Loading error is a web page error which prevents the online user from viewing the online content.
32. Mailing list – A mailing list represents a list of email addresses of your subscribers or previous customers.
33. Mobile-friendly – The term usually refers to online content, such as blog articles, email messages, etc. and it is used to describe online content that is accessible and properly displayed on mobile devices.
34. Multi-level marketing – Multi-level marketing (MML) is a strategy that is also called pyramid selling or referral marketing. It includes the sale of products or services to
salespeople or participants. They then recruit other salespeople to be the new recruits who are often referred to as distributor’s “downline”.
35. Niche – In marketing, a niche is a part of the online market which is focused a particular topic, product, or service.
36. Online marketing – Online marketing, also called internet or digital marketing, is a process of advertising on the internet using online channels such as search engines, social media, paid ads, email, etc.
37. Optimize – To optimize something means to improve it to achieve better results. The term is usually used to describe the process of improving a web page, a landing page, an email message, etc.
38. Organic search results – These are the results that appear as a response to a search query, sorted based on relevancy in the search engine result pages. As opposed to organic, there can also be paid search results.
39. Outreach – This is a type of campaign in online marketing which involves looking for individuals or companies that are interested in working with you on projects, mutual campaigns, etc.
40. Page authority – Page authority (PA) is a Moz’s metric which represents a score between 0 and 100 that predicts how well a page will rank in the search engine result pages.
41. Page rank – Page rank (PR) is used for measuring the importance of website pages through an algorithm that uses different metrics to rank websites.
42. Payment gateways – A payment gateway is a service that processes payments for an online business and thus enables online purchase.
43. Penalty – Penalty represents a sort of punishment, usually introduced as decreased search engine ranking. It is applied when the website is believed to be using suspicious methods and practices to mislead the search engines and online users.
44. Query – This term is usually used in relation to search engines to signify a search query, i.e. a term that the online user types in the search engine.
45. Reach – In the online world, reach refers to the total number of online users who are exposed to particular content at least once, through both paid and organic reach.
46. Search engine ranking – Search engine ranking, or shortly ranking, is the position a certain website has in the search engine result pages shown in response to a specific query.
47. Segment – In online marketing, to segment means to create categories or groups based on particular features. You usually segment online users or subscribers to create campaigns that are more customized and personalized.
48. SEO – Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing and adapting the website in order to improve its rank in the search engine result pages.
49. SERP – Search engine result page (SERP) represents a list of the results that are shown as a response to the query by a search engine. SERP can show organic and paid search engine results.
50. Shopping cart – Shopping cart is software that allows browsing the products, putting them in a virtual basket and purchase.
51. Showrooming – Showrooming is the act of visiting a shop to see the product before buying it online, usually at a lower price.
52. Social media marketing – Social media marketing (SMM) is a part of online marketing which includes promotion of a business through social media platforms. It includes having social media profiles, connecting with the followers, being active, organizing campaigns, etc.
53. Social media presence – Being present on social media includes interacting with the followers and organizing promotional campaigns. Through these activities, you establish your social media presence and use it to grow your business.
54. Squatting – The act of creating websites with common misspellings of legitimate domains is known as squatting.
55. Subscriber – A subscriber is a person who signs up to your newsletter and opts in to receive your updates through email.
56. Target group – A target group represents a group of people you try to reach with your online marketing.
57. Tier – Tier affiliate marketing model represents a structure when the affiliates earn commissions when they refer other affiliates to join the program. This commission is added to their commission earned through conversions.
58. Trademark – Trademark is a symbol or a word that represents a company or a product. It has recognizable design and identifies the brand on the market.
59. User experience – User experience (UX) is a term that includes all the aspects of the interaction between the online users and a company. It is a metric that affects website positioning.
60. Visibility – When it comes to online marketing, visibility is often used to describe the likelihood of the website being shown in the search engine result pages and being visible to the online users who are performing the search.
61. Webmaster – A webmaster is a person who creates and manages a website and its content, the computer server used to store the website as well as all other installed applications and software.
62. Webrooming – Webrooming is the term used for researching products online before buying them in a physical store.
63. Website analytics – Website analytics includes the data about website visitors. It analyzes the behavior of those visitors in order to improve website performance.
64. Website optimization – Website optimization includes the process of optimizing a website to improve its ranking in the search engine result pages. It is also called search engine optimization (SEO).
PS: If you would like to have an online course on any of the courses that you found on this blog, I will be glad to do that on an individual and corporate level, I will be very glad to do that because I have trained several individuals and groups and they are doing well in their various fields of endeavour. Some of those that I have trained include the staff of Dangote Refinery, FCMB, Zenith Bank, and New Horizons Nigeria among others. Please come on Whatsapp and let’s talk about your training. You can reach me on Whatsapp HERE. Please note that I will be using Microsoft Team to facilitate the training.
I know you might agree with some of the points that I have raised in this article. You might not agree with some of the issues raised. Let me know your views about the topic discussed. We will appreciate it if you can drop your comment. Thanks in anticipation.
Fact Check Policy
CRMNUGGETS is committed to fact-checking in a fair, transparent and non-partisan manner. Therefore, if you’ve found an error in any of our reports, be it factual, editorial, or an outdated post, please contact us to tell us about it.
|Monitor Your Keywords and Ranking, Join SEOPOZ Today|